The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.
The Grey Grot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb.

+3
Keebler
Brian_Horton
Papa Nurgle
7 posters

Go down

Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb. Empty Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb.

Post  Papa Nurgle Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 pm

I have always had an issue with tournaments. Long ago, I played in the first Magic Tournaments. Yes, I am "that" old. They were fun because they were new. It was a great way to socialize and meet people. It was FUN. Eventually, as rules changed for tournaments, and decks became limited in what cards you could have and how many you could have, I witnessed a sad occurence. The birth of the jackass. People played decks that were "tournament legal". If your deck was not "tournament legal" no one would play you. It became a great way to push people out. Competitive natures took over and friendships ended due to it. After watching this for years, and encountering many jackasses, some of whom still walk among us, I simply walked away. Only when the word "casual play" was introduced, did I come back to Magic. Now, I am seeing behaviors repeat, only with Warhammer, both Fantasy and 40k. It's a brave new world, and yet some jackasses remain. Sadly, the jackass exists in all of us and has a tendency to rear it's ugly head when we aren't careful. Competition has overridden fun, as it always seems to in tournament settings. This does not mean I condemn tournaments. I enjoy some aspects of them. I enjoy certain opponents more than others and some less than others. But the fact is that we are still, on some level, all friends and or colleagues. In the worst case scenario, we should just agree to disagree. We can't like everyone and they won't all like us. So be it.

But in the end, it's just a game people. Games are meant to be fun. Let's try and remember that when we are out there wanting to hit certain people with chairs.

Very Happy

As you were.

-Chuck
Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb. Empty Re: Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb.

Post  Brian_Horton Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Well put Chuck.

Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb. Empty Re: Why I hate tournaments and came to love the atomic bomb.

Post  Keebler Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:00 pm

I agree that it's a game but casual play doesn't net you $90 in store credit. Am I justifying jackassness no, just explaining it's reason lol.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sidious Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:20 pm

here here!

While no friend of the jackass myself, I find that there is a simple truth in life.

"Everyone has a god given right to be an asshole. Some abuse this privilege."

More often than not we meet them in competition.
Sidious
Sidious
Hurd/Skaven

Back to top Go down

Post  Azel RavenWood Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:35 am

Wow, i just had this same conversation with my friend about 3 days ago and i agree with you Chuck...if you get to competitive to actually play a fair and nice game then why the hell play in the first place.

Also tournoment legal decks are annoying specially if you can't play what you want to play or get the cards you need.....mumbble BaneSlayer....mumbble Angel......
Azel RavenWood
Azel RavenWood
Biker Nob

Back to top Go down

Post  The Man with No Name Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:34 am

Very well put Chuck. At the end of the day... win,lose or draw.... the outcome of any tournement is not going to change your world when you leave the store.
The Man with No Name
The Man with No Name
Arbitor

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 am

We all have to fight the urge to completely crush our opponant. It never makes for a fun game. Tournaments for me were always an excuse to go someplace new and meet new people and see differant armies.
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down