The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.
The Grey Grot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All your basecoat are belonging to us...

+2
GrimsAxe
halflingstew
6 posters

Go down

All your basecoat are belonging to us... Empty All your basecoat are belonging to us...

Post  halflingstew Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Now that my GW spray cans are about done, what are people using these days for undercoating? I don't want to make the investment in the airgun. Is there a high quality, multiple color brand that works well?
halflingstew
halflingstew
Scarab/Nurgling

Back to top Go down

All your basecoat are belonging to us... Empty Re: All your basecoat are belonging to us...

Post  GrimsAxe Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:30 pm

There are a number of good (Not to mention Cheaper!) alternatives to GW primer.

Generally the light colored or White primers seem the most problematic for getting a consistently good effect.

Black on the other hand seems to do well even down to the generic 97ยข Flat Black Spray paint most of the time.

Preferred paint effect can be as individual as ones favorite ice cream flavor. I've seen someone throw out models due to an uneven drying pattern in the primer that I never would have noticed if they hadn't told me. Rolling Eyes

Personally I tend to favor Painter's Touch brand Primers for quality (which ranges from $4-$7 depending on color & store) & generic Flat Black for every thing else.
GrimsAxe
GrimsAxe
High Lord

http://www.o-zonelair.com

Back to top Go down

All your basecoat are belonging to us... Empty Re: All your basecoat are belonging to us...

Post  The Man with No Name Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:50 pm

I agree with you Bryan. I have had very good luck with the 97 cent spray black from wallyworld. Also with the line of paint they carry in the hobby aisle has worked well for me.
The Man with No Name
The Man with No Name
Arbitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Company Master Steenrod Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:12 pm

dont use krylon black primer! its TERRIBLE!!! it tends to puff up and ruin any and all detail!
Company Master Steenrod
Company Master Steenrod
Fire warrior

http://www.myspace.com/bishnukka

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:33 pm

I've tried non-GW spray, all black, but for some reason they always either come in thick or chalky or something.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Company Master Steenrod Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:45 pm

yea the citadel/GW sprays really are worth the money i dont think you'll ever find anything thats much better than that for a better price..... hobby paint like testors flat black is ok as well i just have a hard time finding it anymore
Company Master Steenrod
Company Master Steenrod
Fire warrior

http://www.myspace.com/bishnukka

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:42 pm

The best spray primer is KRYLON SANDABLE AUTO PRIMER. Best Black and Grey primer. For White I use spray Kilz, it is a bit better than the krylon white auto primer. Lowes and home depot carry them.
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum