The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.

new here, need help!

Go down

new here, need help!

Post  Catwoman on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:57 pm

Like a Star @ heaven I have Tyranids, I was wondering if someone has a good idea for a list. just looking for a low point value list, nothing too crazy. My army is still in the development stage, I still have a bunch of stuff still to get. please give me some ideas. All are welcome, Thanks!

Catwoman
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Re: new here, need help!

Post  Warboss Grimtooth on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:01 pm

I have 'Nids as well and love them. It would be helpful to know what you have available to you. If you could give us an idea perhaps we can give you one. I personally love swarms of smaller nids when possible. I look forward to seeing you at the store and facing or working with your Nids!
Warboss Grimtooth
Guardian

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/Radman68/

Back to top Go down

Post  sikosgprez on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:57 pm

That sounds like a Brian_Horton question. You should probably pick his brain. I don't know anyone in the area that knows that army, and plays them as effectively, as he does.
sikosgprez
Inquisitor

http://www.myspace.com/sikosgprez

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm

I hate bugs >.<. But yes, Horton would be the man to ask. Lil Jon also plays bugs a lot too.

Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  GrimsAxe on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 am

It would depend on the style of play your looking for.
If you prefer an army designed for tournament play then Horton definitely is the man to talk to.

If you lean more to a fluff based or fun based game play then you'll want to speak with Grimstooth (Chris) or The Man With No Name (Mark).

With the "Toxic" (Green on Black) look you've been working on, I'm not sure if you were looking to carry that over into the way the army behaves & fights as well as the look.

High Lord

http://www.o-zonelair.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Company Master Steenrod on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am

Catwoman wrote: Like a Star @ heaven I have Tyranids, I was wondering if someone has a good idea for a list. just looking for a low point value list, nothing too crazy. My army is still in the development stage, I still have a bunch of stuff still to get. please give me some ideas. All are welcome, Thanks!

well your in luck! talk to any Nid player and they will give u a great list low points but big effect! and welcome aboard we r glad to have you!
Company Master Steenrod
Fire warrior

http://www.myspace.com/bishnukka

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:23 am

I am more than willing to help in anyway I can. If you want a fluff based or tournament based list.

just pm me with what you currently have or are looking at and I can help you. I can say that there are a ton of fun and competitive builds for the Nids. Your HQ does, just like most new codexes, very much can effect your builds.

Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Catwoman on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Thank you all for your help!!!! .. um, right now to start im just looking for a good for play type lists, once i get the hang of it, then yes, i will battle in EPIC tournaments! XD but basically anything im willing to try to see what works best for me, and thank you all!!! XD alien

just to give you a idea of what i have:

Like a Star @ heaven 39 hormagaunts, 38 termagaunts, 17 spore mines, 16 genesteelers, 6 ripper swarms, 6 warriors, 1 brood lord, 1 biovore, 1 carnifex, 1 hive tyrant.

Catwoman
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  raven666 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:39 am

sounds like nasty army already XD
raven666
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Catwoman on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:41 am

raven666 wrote:sounds like nasty army already XD

haha.. thank you! alien

Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  raven666 on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:42 am

lol...np? XD
raven666
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Azel RavenWood on Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:33 am

Catwoman wrote:

39 hormagaunts, 38 termagaunts, 17 spore mines, 16 genesteelers, 6 ripper swarms, 6 warriors, 1 brood lord, 1 biovore, 1 carnifex, 1 hive tyrant.

I don't play tyrinids but i essentially learnd to play with them and i have to say ouch....that does look like a nice amount of nids!!!!
Azel RavenWood
Biker Nob

Back to top Go down

Post  The Man with No Name on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:47 am

I am not a tournament player so my lists tend to be based on what I am in the mood to try. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The best advice I can give is to try different builds and see what works for you. Nids can be a fun and challenging army with all the different options available to you. Whether you want to charge across the table and eat your enemy or stand back and try to shoot them or a combo of both. All builds can be effective and all builds can be defeated. Just see what works for you then go with it. And most of all have fun.

Arbitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:38 am

personally i think wArriors Are almost broken. After upgrAdes they are nigh unstoppAble for respectable points, unless the enemy hAs meltA guns or something like a vindicAtor or fire prism.

Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Keebler wrote:personally i think wArriors Are almost broken. After upgrAdes they are nigh unstoppAble for respectable points, unless the enemy hAs meltA guns or something like a vindicAtor or fire prism.

Dude. Is your shift key broken?

High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:03 pm

Ok seeing what you have I feel that you could do this at 1500 points and it could work very well for you.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant (270 points)
with: Heavy Venom Cannon, Bone Sword and Lash Whip, Adrenal Glands, Armor Shell, Hive Commander
Psychic Abilities: Leech Essence and Paroxysm.

The use of your Hive Tyrant is your biggest hard hitter. His Hive commander ability is good because it gives you the ability to give outflank to a troop choice and +1 to reserve rolls. Paroxysm makes you a beast if you use it to downgrade the opponents weapon skill for when either he our your troop unit to assault to make it hit on 3+. Remember that Lash Whip makes all attackers that attack at Initiative 1 so you should hit first in most situations. The heavy Venom Cannon is good for slowing down vehicle shooting at you, just remember it is -1 on the damage table. I have found that the VC is best aimed at things that it can take major weapons off if such as Vindicators.

Troop:

Genestealers (335) (17 total models)
with: Broodlord and Toxic Sacs

This is a very effective outflanking unit. With the +1 from your Hive Tyrant they will be coming in from reserve typically early in the game. The Toxic Sacs always wound on a 4+ so they are really effective. Also read the poison rule in the main rule book because it is good to fully know, but a short you can re-roll to wound when your strength is equal to or greater than you opponents toughness. Also with the rending ability of them they can take down most vehicles in close combat. There are situations where you will want to not outflank so read all of their Universal Special Rules.

Tyranid Warriors (370) (6 models)
with: Adrenal Glands, Toxic Sacs, Deathspitters, 1x Venom Cannon, Lash Whip and Bone Sword. (6 total)

This is your super troop unit. Using the Hive Tyrants ability to give outflank to a unit make this a probable unit for it. Although it is not alway the case it is a good choice when you see more foot troops than vehicles. They have the strength of multiple wounds and the ability to consistently go first in combat with lash whip. They also can take out large character groups because of the amount of attacks they get. Also work great at holding objectives on back lines. Just make sure that is your opponent is running a lot of missile launchers or a vindicator that you use outflank because they are vulnerable to instant death.

Hormagaunts (300)
with: Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs

This unit is an impressive wall that your opponent must deal with or it will cut a waft through his ranks. It is your screening unit for your bigger bugs. This unit is scary and can absorb a lot of fire power. They are a quick unit with the extra run and the fleet ability. Make sure you use cover to your advantage and use your special rules and Biomorfs to your advantage.

Carnifex (the Screamer Killer) (220)
with: 2x Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio Plasma, Frag Spines and Regeneration.

So this is a Hand to hand beasty with some good abilities. When the Carnifex charges, he gets +2 INT from his Living Battering Ram rule and get +1 INT from his adrenal Glands bringing him up to IN 4 making him go first typical equal with the average Marine. His Scything talon pair gives him the ability to re-roll to hit so he can be a first turn of assault amazing hitter. Bio Plasma is a good shooting attack that can hurt troops and break through lightly armored vehicles. Make sure you use placement of him so he can draw fire away from your Hive Tyrant.

These are my thoughts with what you have. You can if you want split the Hormagaunts into 2 units if you want more troop choices.

That is my advice with what you have. If you would like more help please feel free to ask me whenever you want.

Brian Horton

Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  raven666 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:31 pm

i agree they make all melee infantry useless including termies
raven666
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Catwoman on Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:50 am

Brian_Horton wrote:Ok seeing what you have I feel that you could do this at 1500 points and it could work very well for you.

HQ:
Hive Tyrant (270 points)
with: Heavy Venom Cannon, Bone Sword and Lash Whip, Adrenal Glands, Armor Shell, Hive Commander
Psychic Abilities: Leech Essence and Paroxysm.

The use of your Hive Tyrant is your biggest hard hitter. His Hive commander ability is good because it gives you the ability to give outflank to a troop choice and +1 to reserve rolls. Paroxysm makes you a beast if you use it to downgrade the opponents weapon skill for when either he our your troop unit to assault to make it hit on 3+. Remember that Lash Whip makes all attackers that attack at Initiative 1 so you should hit first in most situations. The heavy Venom Cannon is good for slowing down vehicle shooting at you, just remember it is -1 on the damage table. I have found that the VC is best aimed at things that it can take major weapons off if such as Vindicators.

Troop:

Genestealers (335) (17 total models)
with: Broodlord and Toxic Sacs

This is a very effective outflanking unit. With the +1 from your Hive Tyrant they will be coming in from reserve typically early in the game. The Toxic Sacs always wound on a 4+ so they are really effective. Also read the poison rule in the main rule book because it is good to fully know, but a short you can re-roll to wound when your strength is equal to or greater than you opponents toughness. Also with the rending ability of them they can take down most vehicles in close combat. There are situations where you will want to not outflank so read all of their Universal Special Rules.

Tyranid Warriors (370) (6 models)
with: Adrenal Glands, Toxic Sacs, Deathspitters, 1x Venom Cannon, Lash Whip and Bone Sword. (6 total)

This is your super troop unit. Using the Hive Tyrants ability to give outflank to a unit make this a probable unit for it. Although it is not alway the case it is a good choice when you see more foot troops than vehicles. They have the strength of multiple wounds and the ability to consistently go first in combat with lash whip. They also can take out large character groups because of the amount of attacks they get. Also work great at holding objectives on back lines. Just make sure that is your opponent is running a lot of missile launchers or a vindicator that you use outflank because they are vulnerable to instant death.

Hormagaunts (300)
with: Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs

This unit is an impressive wall that your opponent must deal with or it will cut a waft through his ranks. It is your screening unit for your bigger bugs. This unit is scary and can absorb a lot of fire power. They are a quick unit with the extra run and the fleet ability. Make sure you use cover to your advantage and use your special rules and Biomorfs to your advantage.

Carnifex (the Screamer Killer) (220)
with: 2x Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio Plasma, Frag Spines and Regeneration.

So this is a Hand to hand beasty with some good abilities. When the Carnifex charges, he gets +2 INT from his Living Battering Ram rule and get +1 INT from his adrenal Glands bringing him up to IN 4 making him go first typical equal with the average Marine. His Scything talon pair gives him the ability to re-roll to hit so he can be a first turn of assault amazing hitter. Bio Plasma is a good shooting attack that can hurt troops and break through lightly armored vehicles. Make sure you use placement of him so he can draw fire away from your Hive Tyrant.

These are my thoughts with what you have. You can if you want split the Hormagaunts into 2 units if you want more troop choices.

That is my advice with what you have. If you would like more help please feel free to ask me whenever you want.

Brian Horton

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH BRIAN! seriously ur a LIFE SAVER!!!! What a Face

Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum