The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.
The Grey Grot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Space Marine help

+4
Brian_Horton
SLAANESH
forward unto dawn
Keebler
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Space Marine help Empty Space Marine help

Post  Keebler Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 am

It's no secret that I'm trying to start Blood Angels. I have the Codex and I have a vague idea of the units I want but what I'm having trouble with is equipment. See as an Eldar player I've never had to deal with giving people different weapons in the same squad and such because if I wanted a melta gun I took a squad of Fire dragons. If I wanted long range fire support I took Dark Reapers. I don't know how to build a squad that combines them all. What are some examples of what people use and what seems to work in general? How many power weapons and or bolters in a death company squad. Should an assault sergeant take a power fist or a power sword inferus pistol. Do I take a full squad of assault marines with packs or do I take the 6 in a razor back. And for the love of god what do I do with tactical squads?! I don't know!! >.< The customization is driving me crazy.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Space Marine help Empty Re: Space Marine help

Post  forward unto dawn Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:41 am

while I'm not very familiar with the blood angels, i tend to customize my units to do what i intend to use them for, although tactical squads can be used for anything they are best used, i personally thing, to fight of other troops, and any no vehicle units, save the tanks for the devastators, and for the assault marines, its really up to how you wanna play you army, and most of the customization is really dependent on how you plan to play your army, i generally find that tailoring you tactical squads to be anti-infantry is good, with a flamer and a melta gun or a plasma gun if you're feeling lucky, and i have never used assault marines so im just going on my experience with regular squads, but i do know rhinos are very helpful in getting your guys around, its a tough fight to win a game if you have no transports, and the choice between power sword power fist is whether or not you think you're gonna need it, because you strike last there is a chance that your sergeant is gonna die before he uses it in close combat, but it does pack a punch, and its great against vehicles, so if you want to go vehicle hunting give em melta bombs and a power fist and go to town
forward unto dawn
forward unto dawn
Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:25 am

When you come in Thur. I can help you out.
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Thanks Miller. At work I was toying with the idea that no matter how much planning you do to form a strategy, either the mission, your opponent, or plain dumb luck can ruin that strategy so if I just make my units good at a little of everything, then if I should be able to handle the situations that arise tit for tat. heh, tit.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:03 pm

Keebler I will gladly help you out as I thought about BA before I did Space WOlves. THere are several good builds that are versatile.
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Coolsie!
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 am

The real trick is to build your army with a style in mind. Are you going to form some kind of gun line, or are you going to blast accross the table and try to knock heads. Once you have that idea you can build around it. The hardest part is being able to think on your feet once the game is underway.
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  forward unto dawn Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 am

all the above advice is way better than mine lol, and shorter XDDD
forward unto dawn
forward unto dawn
Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:58 am

MMMM....Drop Pods!
Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:43 am

Drop pods are like drugs,

JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!!

lol!
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  forward unto dawn Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:32 pm

i have never once used a drop pod, and im doing pretty well, kinda Suspect
forward unto dawn
forward unto dawn
Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I dont think Blood Angels really need drop pods with their better than average deep strike capabilities.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  High Marshal Jerard Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:42 am

Personally I shall take on blangels with my templars... they are no mach my death squads beat yours and my basic troops although more points can fair a beating.

If you would be so kind I invite you to battle Marine vs marine battle on tuesday at the store (comix zone) as a friendly practice match for us both. This will allow you to see another version of marines who fair in combat more then instead of shooting.
High Marshal Jerard
High Marshal Jerard
Scout

http://Carney17@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  forward unto dawn Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:35 pm

I would love to know how this match goes, i got to play the old WD Blood Angels as black templars and i was routed sternly,
forward unto dawn
forward unto dawn
Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:25 pm

I would love to know who the heck Jay is addressing since I don't actually have enough marines to play.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Smarties Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:59 pm

what style are you actually thinking of bro? o:
Smarties
Smarties
Hurd/Skaven

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 pm

I've talked with Horton and I'd like to play a blitz style where I overwhelm the opponent and he can't deal.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Drop Pods played a vital part of my Blitz for the Blood Angels. Remember....they have locator beacons so Deep Strikers can enter play within 6 inches of them...and BA Land Raiders can deep strike. Basically, my list ran one unit of scout bikes with a locator beacon and 3 drop pods with Assault Squads. When you remove the jump packs, Drop Pods are FREE. I then used the locator beacons to deep strike my land raiders. It was a beautiful thing.
Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:27 pm

But that's also not fluffy. I want to play classic Blood Angels, so jump packs and fast tanks.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Smarties Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:34 pm

Papa Nurgle wrote:Drop Pods played a vital part of my Blitz for the Blood Angels. Remember....they have locator beacons so Deep Strikers can enter play within 6 inches of them...and BA Land Raiders can deep strike. Basically, my list ran one unit of scout bikes with a locator beacon and 3 drop pods with Assault Squads. When you remove the jump packs, Drop Pods are FREE. I then used the locator beacons to deep strike my land raiders. It was a beautiful thing.
i remembered you telling me about that Very Happy that is an amazing tactic for a blitz. but you just gotta watch out for units that have jamming beacons. ESPECIALLY in a marine vs marine battle. i know im goin to try and make the units i put in the front have them because of what you told me XD thats the only real way to defend against it. well, from what ive read. and i would use drop pods with tactical marines or devastator squads. you get enough of em on the front lines, it wont matter how many the enemy kills. hell, i think you cna make them terminators too. imagine a ton of them just appearing on the front lines. thats one hell of a blitz.
Smarties
Smarties
Hurd/Skaven

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Smarties wrote:
Papa Nurgle wrote:Drop Pods played a vital part of my Blitz for the Blood Angels. Remember....they have locator beacons so Deep Strikers can enter play within 6 inches of them...and BA Land Raiders can deep strike. Basically, my list ran one unit of scout bikes with a locator beacon and 3 drop pods with Assault Squads. When you remove the jump packs, Drop Pods are FREE. I then used the locator beacons to deep strike my land raiders. It was a beautiful thing.
i remembered you telling me about that Very Happy that is an amazing tactic for a blitz. but you just gotta watch out for units that have jamming beacons. ESPECIALLY in a marine vs marine battle. i know im goin to try and make the units i put in the front have them because of what you told me XD thats the only real way to defend against it. well, from what ive read. and i would use drop pods with tactical marines or devastator squads. you get enough of em on the front lines, it wont matter how many the enemy kills. hell, i think you cna make them terminators too. imagine a ton of them just appearing on the front lines. thats one hell of a blitz.

With the BA, you only need a few drop pods to take advantage of the situation. The Ultramarines, on the other hand, can take full affect of the drop pods. With them, I think 7 is a good number...although I met a guy in Baltimore that runs 9 with full 10 man squads in the first 5. That is 50 marines appearing in the first turn. Pretty sick if you think about it. I am a fan of the Iron Clad Dreads in the first turn, pouring out of the Drop Pod Assault.

Yes, jamming beacons can be a bit tricky to get around...but most people don't take them. After reading this, EVERYONE will take them.

Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Smarties Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 pm

Papa Nurgle wrote:
Smarties wrote:

With the BA, you only need a few drop pods to take advantage of the situation. The Ultramarines, on the other hand, can take full affect of the drop pods. With them, I think 7 is a good number...although I met a guy in Baltimore that runs 9 with full 10 man squads in the first 5. That is 50 marines appearing in the first turn. Pretty sick if you think about it. I am a fan of the Iron Clad Dreads in the first turn, pouring out of the Drop Pod Assault.

Yes, jamming beacons can be a bit tricky to get around...but most people don't take them. After reading this, EVERYONE will take them.

was that the guy from glen burnie bunker or another guy? i know mike was talkin about that when i was down there. and is it just ultra that can do that? i came up with my own color scheme and chapter so im kinda antsy now lol and the iron clad is a sick nasty idea. tearin things up the first turn.
they will only take the jamming beacons is they read it lol they might be unfortunate enough to not read it :3
Smarties
Smarties
Hurd/Skaven

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:57 pm

The list he ran could only be done with Ultras since he ran Thunderfire cannons with them. He was an employee at the battle bunker.
Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Smarties Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:00 pm

yea that was mike! he was an awesome guy. and actually, my chapter is one that works closely with the ultramarines so if my opponent allows, im goin to try and push for them to have the same rules as the ultramarines.
Smarties
Smarties
Hurd/Skaven

Back to top Go down

Post  Papa Nurgle Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:04 pm

I run a chapter called The Relictors. I actually run 2 different lists, one from the Ultra Marines Codex and the other from the Blood Angels.
Papa Nurgle
Papa Nurgle
High Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next