The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Grey Grot
Welcome to the O-Zone Lair.
Please login or register for full access to the site.
The Grey Grot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An article from BOLS A MUST READ

+4
Keebler
The OverSeer
The Man with No Name
Brian_Horton
8 posters

Go down

An article from BOLS  A MUST READ Empty An article from BOLS A MUST READ

Post  Brian_Horton Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Pick-Up Games: Jerks Need Not Apply
Posted by The Girl at Sunday, July 04, 2010

I've seen a variety of ways to handle winning or losing a friendly pick-up game. A lot of them suck.

I've seen yelling, outbursts of profanity, stomping out of the gaming space to cool off outside, catty back talking, breaking models, and throwing things. On the other end I've heard pompous bragging about how large a win was, and how stupid an opponent was. All of these behaviors make the player look like an idiot - esp in a non-tourney game. This is not what a pick-up game is about. The overall goal should be to have fun and learn from every battle, so that you can crush opponents when it really counts.

I fenced throughout high school - a sport that contains a myriad rules about courtesy and sportsmanship. The best lesson I learned from my coach was this: "If you can't take losing gracefully and winning with humility you don't deserve to to pick up a weapon." I think it's important to keep this in mind when you approach a gaming table. A few rules that I've adopted from my years of fencing:

1. Approach a game with the goal of winning and having fun, but prepare yourself to lose. You aren't going to win every game. Aim to learn at least one new thing out of every encounter that will make your strategy better.

2. Thank your opponent for the game no matter if you won or lost, or if the game felt like a horrible waste of time. Ask for advice, and a critique of your strategy at the end of games. Respect your opponent's knowledge, and take a chance to teach them something new, too.

3. Play nice and don't cheat. No one learns from being a jerk, or cheating. Pick-up games are a way to perfect your game - take advantage.

5. Don't whine, and don't throw things. You're an adult [I would hope]. Act like it.

6. Take your time. Unless you have a hot date to go to, or the place you're playing is about to close, there's no reason to rush. Think about what you're doing so it'll be second nature in a tournament.

7. Have fun! Exchange banter with your opponent. Be goofy. Don't take the game too seriously.

The best pick-up games I've played have followed these rules. They're enjoyable, and I feel accomplished when they're done - win or lose.

I know we all spend time and money building the best forces we can. It sucks to lose and it feels great to win, but it's not necessary to be an a**hat about either. Doing so makes the game less enjoyable for everyone - especially if the game is a friendly, pick-up game. Keep the seriousness for tournaments.
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

An article from BOLS  A MUST READ Empty Re: An article from BOLS A MUST READ

Post  The Man with No Name Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 am

Hear,hear.
The Man with No Name
The Man with No Name
Arbitor

Back to top Go down

Post  The OverSeer Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:31 pm

We concur & adopt these guidelines as the Clubs Gaming code of conduct.
The OverSeer
The OverSeer
High Lord

https://o-zonelair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Keebler Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:45 pm

I think I adopted #7 as a personal creed.
Keebler
Keebler
Ring Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Keebler wrote:I think I adopted #7 as a personal creed.

I think that is one of my favorites as well. One think I know for sure Keebler is we can be goofy and have some great fun.
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  Headless Calgar Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:01 pm

I purpose a #8.... HUG CHUCK!!!!! (I know, bad beard....)
Headless Calgar
Headless Calgar
Inquisitor Lord

Back to top Go down

Post  ronin1118 Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 am

Rule #7 is what I live my life like. Very Happy
ronin1118
ronin1118
Servitor

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:30 am

#7 is quite posably (got I can't spell) the best rule. That is why I make noises while playing. It adds fun to the game. And Horton can attest to that. I think I got a little over the top on Sat. That is what happens when you try to play (3) 3000 pt games on only 4 hours of sleep.
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:41 am

SLAANESH wrote:#7 is quite posably (got I can't spell) the best rule. That is why I make noises while playing. It adds fun to the game. And Horton can attest to that. I think I got a little over the top on Sat. That is what happens when you try to play (3) 3000 pt games on only 4 hours of sleep.

I always like playing with you Miller cause of the fun. It's perfect Blood Bowl weather is always fun to hear.
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  SLAANESH Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am

Very Happy And make those silly wolves stand still so I can hack a lugy at them lol!
SLAANESH
SLAANESH
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian_Horton Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:50 am

SLAANESH wrote: Very Happy And make those silly wolves stand still so I can hack a lugy at them lol!

Nope my wolves aren't trained to stand still. Lift there leg and pee though they are real good at. lol!
Brian_Horton
Brian_Horton
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post  comixzone Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:50 pm

I would like to add a couple of things that I read in the NEW Warhammer Fantasy 8th Edition Rulebook that also relate to 40K as well:

1) The Most Important Rule (pg. 2)

" In a game of the size and complexity of Warhammer (and Warhammer 40K), there are bound to be occasions where a situation is not covered by the rules, or you can't seem to find the right page. Even if you know the rule, sometimes it is just a really close call, and players don't agree on the precise outcome.

Nobody wants to waste valuable gaming time arguing, so be prepared to interpret a rule or come up with a suitable solution for yourselves (in a manner befitting gentlemen, of course). If you find that you and your opponent cannot agree on the application of a rule, roll a die to see whose interpretation will apply for the remainder of the game - on a result of 1-3 player A gets to decide, on a 4-6 player B decides. Then you can get on with the fighting! Once the game is over, you can happily continue your discussion as to the finer points of the rules."

2) The Spirit of the Game (pg. 3)

" You'll realise soon that Warhammer (and Warhammer 40K) is different to any game you have played. It is important to remember that the rules are just a framework to create an enjoyable game. Winning at any cost is less important than making sure both players - not just the victor - have a good time. What's more, Warhammer (and Warhammer 40K) calls on a lot from you, the player. Your job isn't to just follow the rules, it's also to add your own ideas and sense of fun to the game. Much of the appeal of Warhammer (and Warhammer 40K) lies in the freedom and open-endedness that this allows, and it is in this spirit that the rules have been written."

3) Movement Etiquette (pg. 24)

" The nature of a game of Warhammer (or Warhammer 40K), the varied terrain it is fought over and the stability or the models themselves means that it is impossible to be absolutely accurate about the movement of troops - the odd fraction of an inch will inevitably appear or disappear as lines are neatened and models edged together. On the whole, this need not cause concern during play as it is better to keep the game flowing rather than worrying about unavoidable imprecision. Where a move is especially important or an exact measurement is critical, it is good practice to agree what you are doing with your opponent before moving any troops."

These were taken straight from the book. I feel that these rules or guidelines are relevent in all Games Workshop games and should be followed regardless of whether it's a friendly game or a tournament game.

- Mike

Comix Zone Gaming Manager
comixzone.gaming@gmail.com
comixzone
comixzone
Rogue Trader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down